GPIFF 2016 dedicates to connecting film industries of N. America and China
- 4th Golden Panda International Short Film Festival takes off
- Steveston’s parade celebrates 2016 Canada Day
- Canada out in force at the Shanghai International Film Festival with 18 films
- Vancouver film festival visits Chinese filmmakers
- Robertson: Vancouver is uniquely connected
- Canada’s film ‘ambassador’ to China looks to collaborate
After months of preparation, the 4th Golden Panda International Short Film Festival (GPIFF) has officially raised its curtain with the first round of call for submissions introduced to filmmakers worldwide starting Aug. 9.
Organized by GPIFF Committee, China Network Television and Orient Star Media, Golden Panda International Short Film Festival’s core mission is to become a North America-based, internationally-minded festival that serves as a springboard to the careers of young filmmaking talents around the world.
This year’s festival has invited accomplished film professionals and well-respected scholars across North America, Asia and Europe to form an international jury of seven aiming to select the best works among all submissions.
Zhang Huijun, president of Beijing Film Academy (BFA), will be serving as President of the Jury during this year’s festival. As the largest film academy in the whole of Asia and the best film school in China, BFA not only has an array of alumni among whom many are worldly recognized directors and actors, it is also a cradle that cultivates emerging young Chinese film talents. With Zhang appointed President of the Jury, GPIFF strives to develop dialogues focusing on supporting aspiring young filmmakers and film screenwriting.
Executive Member of the 2016 GPIFF Committee and Representative of GPIFF organizers Sandy You (R) offers Certificate of Appointment to Zhang Huijun (L), president of Beijing Film Academy.
Members of the 2016 GPIFF Jury include Jiang Ping, vice chairman and general manager of China’s leading film enterprise - China Film Co.; Ivor Benjamin, chair of Directors Guild of Great Britain; Ellen Seiter, professor at University of Southern California’s School of Cinematic Arts; Christopher Lane, director and program coordinator at Toronto Film School; Sabrina Baracetti, president of Far East Film Festival and Robert Lundberg, COO of China Lion Film Distribution.
While having the international jury holding course for this year’s film selection, GPIFF Committee has brought film organizations and companies from China, U.S. and U.K. to join force as International Advisory Organizations, which will be advising on better bridging the gap between global film industries, especially between North America and China. With these supports, this year’s festival strives to build up a platform where aspiring young filmmakers can showcase their visions and talents.
With one of the fastest-growing film industries as a setting, China Film Co. has made itself a significant component of the International Advisory Committee.
A subsidiary of China’s most influential film enterprise and largest film distributor China Film Group Corporation, China Film is one of the only two film companies in China that are entitled the right to import and distribute foreign films. There is no relationship more important to the world’s film companies than its ties with China Film should they be interested in expanding into the Chinese market, which is currently world’s second largest box office. In August 2016, China Film held the largest public offering in the history of China’s entertainment industry and became the first film enterprise in the country that is involved in all fields of China’s film industry.
GPIFF aims to create a platform where film professionals can network and seek collaboration opportunities. In addition, GPIFF also strives to build a hub where emerging young filmmakers can showcase their talents and visions.
Meanwhile, this year’s festival has also formed the International Advisory Committee with La Peikang, chairman of China Film Group as Honorary Adviser and Jiang Ping, vice-chairman and general manager of China Film Co. as Chief Adviser joined by other accomplished advisers from China, U.S., Canada, U.K. and Japan.
Representative from GPIFF Committee Owen Wen (R) offers Certificate of Appointment to Jiang Ping (L), vice-chairman and general manager of China Film Co..
Executive Member of the 2016 GPIFF Committee and Representative of GPIFF organizers Sandy You (R) offers Certificate of Appointment to Prof. Jan Walls (L), president of Canadian Society for Asian Arts.
Starting Aug. 9 to Oct. 9, GPIFF will be accepting entries for this year’s festival. Filmmakers are welcome to submit their works by visiting GPIFF’s official website: www.gpiff.com. Early bird stage runs from Aug. 9 to Aug. 26, 2016.
A special gift for award-winners, GPIFF Committee will invite representatives from each award-winning film production team to join the one-week-long Golden Panda International Filmmakers Cultural Immersion Trip to China in early 2017. All expenses will be covered by the festival committee.
GPIFF looks forward to working closely with global filmmakers to continue enhancing collaborations and interactions between western and eastern film industries.
· Film Submission: Aug. 9 - Oct. 9, 2016
· Public Screening: Sept. 1 - Nov. 1, 2016
· Campus Events: Sept. 1 - Nov. 1, 2016
· Jury Selection: Oct. 10 - Nov. 10, 2016
· Golden Panda Film Industry Forum: Dec. 1, 2016
· Red Carpet, Private Cocktail Party and Awards Ceremony: Dec. 2, 2016
· Golden Panda International Filmmakers Cultural Immersion Trip: March, 2017
· 2016 Golden Panda International Short Film Festival Committee
· China Network Television
· Orient Star Media Inc.
· Orient Star Media Inc.
· CHMB AM 1320
· Beijing Film Academy
· Communication University of China
· Toronto Film Schoo
· University of British Columbia, Department of Film and Theatre
· Art Institute of Vancouver
· Art Institute of Seattle
· China Lion Film Distribution
· Pacific East Media
· Beijing Youth Film Studio
· China Daily (USA)
· Singtao Media (USA)
· STV (USA)
· H + Technology
· Guangdong Tourism Cooperation and Promotion Centre Canada
· New Silk Road Fashion Group
Website and Social Media:
· Official website: www.gpiff.com
· Facebook: www.facebook.com/goldenpandashortfilmfestival/
· Sina Weibo: @金熊猫国际微电影节
- Editor:Albert | Source:
- YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- Driftwood Transcultural Forum was held in Vancouver on August 6. This forum aims to establish itself as a platform to facilitate transcultural debates, discussions and dialogues.
- The 12th Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade is the festival’s largest and most popular free event.