Thor hammers Chinese box office charts
"Thor: The Dark World" topped China's box office charts in the week ending Nov. 10, grossing 134 million yuan (22 million U.S. dollars), according to Tuesday's China Film News.
The film stars 30-year-old Chris Hemsworth as Thor, the god of thunder, who teams up with his deceitful brother Loki, played by Tom Hiddleston, to defeat an evil foe.
It hit theaters on the Chinese mainland on Nov. 8.
"Escape Plan," which stars Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger, was second in the charts, taking in 132 million yuan since its release on Nov. 4.
"Hotel Transylvania," a 3-D animated movie featuring voices lent by Adam Sandler, was third, raking in 22 million yuan in the week, with a total box office of 58 million yuan since its debut on Nov. 1.
Russian movie "Stalingrad," which was directed by Fedor Bondarchuk and centers on a controversial love story about a Russian woman and a Nazi officer against the backdrop of the battle of Stalingrad in 1942, ranked fourth and roped in 17 million yuan in ticket sales, with an accumulative revenue of 69.7 million yuan since its debut on Oct. 31.
In the week from Nov. 4 to Nov. 11, more than 10.23 million people visited cinemas nationwide, up 4 percent year on year, while the weekly box office saw a 44-percent jump, with a total of 355 million yuan.
- Editor:Annabelle | Source: Agencies
- YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- Driftwood Transcultural Forum was held in Vancouver on August 6. This forum aims to establish itself as a platform to facilitate transcultural debates, discussions and dialogues.
- The 12th Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade is the festival’s largest and most popular free event.
- Blizzard kills more than 30K dairy cows in Texas, New Mexico; number could climb higher
- Police ticket 80-year-old man for too much snow on his car, then help clear snow
- Crocodile takes morning dip in Florida Keys swimming pool
- US family has third set of twins, 7 kids total
- Many Russian pilots use fake flight certificates
- British PM leads tributes to Mandela
- Christmas Day bombing suspect jailed for life in Nigeria
- Chinese design on display in NY
- Chris Botti to perform in Beijing
- Thor hammers Chinese box office charts