Many Russian pilots use fake flight certificates
Many Russian commercial pilots obtained flight certificates without undergoing proper training or formal examinations, the Investigative Committee (IC) said Friday.
"We have all grounds to believe that many pilots, first of all in the small airlines, have received forged certificates as they, in effect, have not undergone sufficient training," committee spokesman Vladimir Markin told reporters.
The IC has opened a criminal case and searched the head office of aviation security watchdog Rosaviatsia, which supervises aviation training centers responsible for issuing flight certificates for new pilots, following last month's crash of a Boeing-737 passenger jet at the airport of Kazan, capital of the Tatarstan republic.
Fifty people, including six crew members, were killed in the crash on Nov. 17.
Markin said the IC had also been searching flight training centers across the country, adding the captain of the crashed Boeing had obtained his certificate through one of these centers.
The IC was doubtful about how thoroughly Rosaviatsia conducted inspections of pilots' flight certificates, he said.
Russia's commercial aviation sector has been growing rapidly over the last decade, which has created a shortage of experienced pilots.
The Russian government has said only about 200 pilots graduate from training centers in the country every year, whereas the industry needs more than 1,000 new pilots annually.
- Editor:Kiki | Source: Agencies
- YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- Driftwood Transcultural Forum was held in Vancouver on August 6. This forum aims to establish itself as a platform to facilitate transcultural debates, discussions and dialogues.
- The 12th Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade is the festival’s largest and most popular free event.
- Blizzard kills more than 30K dairy cows in Texas, New Mexico; number could climb higher
- Police ticket 80-year-old man for too much snow on his car, then help clear snow
- Crocodile takes morning dip in Florida Keys swimming pool
- US family has third set of twins, 7 kids total
- Many Russian pilots use fake flight certificates
- British PM leads tributes to Mandela
- Christmas Day bombing suspect jailed for life in Nigeria
- Chinese design on display in NY
- Chris Botti to perform in Beijing
- Thor hammers Chinese box office charts