- Trump to nominate Rick Perry for Energy Secretary
- Donald Trump: Time’s ‘Person of the Year’
- Survivors return to Pearl Harbor for 75th anniv.
- 4th Golden Panda International Short Film Festival Awards Ceremony held
- First Golden Panda Film Industry Forum connects global film industries
- Green Party nominee launches recount in 3 swing states
It's a fact of American life, the baby boomer generation, born right after World War Two, is hitting retirement age. And it's putting resources to the test. But that generation armed with technology and knowledge of a shared economy, is coming up with innovative ideas to maintain their independence.
Eighty-year-old Barbara Daly makes a call. That's answered by an Ashby Village coordinator with a virtual network of volunteers at her fingertips. She sends out emails to candidates fit for the job, and voila. A volunteer repairman arrives at Daly's home to change the light bulbs.
Ashby Village's executive council discusses how its volunteer network can best serve its 320 retired members. Ashby is one of 140 virtual villages nationwide, with just as many currently in development.
Virtual villages are non-profit organizations that survive off volunteers, donations and membership fees. For example, at Ashby Village, membership costs 750 dollars a year per person or 1,200 dollars per household.Volunteer Kristina Holland recently became a member and is on assignment to drive 93-year-old Margie Pezzaglia to the store.
But on these jobs, something else develops - friendships. Researchers in Hong Kong are also studying U.S. virtual retirement villages to see if the model can translate to Asia.
After all, Chinese do have a saying: "What's more important than a faraway relative, is a nearby friend."
- Editor:Annabelle | Source: Agencies
- Driftwood Transcultural Forum was held in Vancouver on August 6. This forum aims to establish itself as a platform to facilitate transcultural debates, discussions and dialogues.
- The 12th Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade is the festival’s largest and most popular free event.