$50M upgrade for US-Canadian border crossing
- More than 2,000 pigs killed in latest Ontario barn fire
- Feds may consider forgiving flight costs for all Syrian refugees: McCallum
- Police arrest woman in road rage killing of Chinese student
- Police in New York State to provide more detail on deaths that included Canadian
- Syrian-born US citizen pleads guilty to aiding militants
- Professor who abused disabled man sentenced to prison
A busy US-Canada border crossing has been approved for a US$50-million upgrade meant to shorten wait times.
Sen. Charles Schumer says waits of up to three hours at the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge north of Buffalo have deterred Canadian shoppers from visiting U.S. attractions and have hurt the economy.
He was at the bridge Tuesday to announce the approval of federal funding by Customs and Border Protection and the General Services Administration.
The bridge gets about three million passenger vehicles every year, as well as commercial trucks.
The project calls for increasing the number of auto lanes from six to nine and adding two truck lanes to the existing four.
A new administration building and separate bus-processing facilities also are planned.
- Editor:Justine | Source: The Associated Press
- YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- Driftwood Transcultural Forum was held in Vancouver on August 6. This forum aims to establish itself as a platform to facilitate transcultural debates, discussions and dialogues.
- The 12th Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade is the festival’s largest and most popular free event.
- Blizzard kills more than 30K dairy cows in Texas, New Mexico; number could climb higher
- Police ticket 80-year-old man for too much snow on his car, then help clear snow
- Crocodile takes morning dip in Florida Keys swimming pool
- US family has third set of twins, 7 kids total
- Many Russian pilots use fake flight certificates
- British PM leads tributes to Mandela
- Christmas Day bombing suspect jailed for life in Nigeria
- Chinese design on display in NY
- Chris Botti to perform in Beijing
- Thor hammers Chinese box office charts